Fetch as Googlebot
How to update out of date information in Google search results
Sometimes it can take forever to update something in the search results, or you just want to speed it up because it’s annoying you, it’s sensitive data, or for other reasons.
- Open the Fetch as Googlebot tool and log in if requested.
- Select the verified property that matches your preferred URL format including http or https and www or non-www because Google treats each format as separate but related properties.
- If your preferred URL format is not listed, add your preferred URL format to Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) by following the steps here.
- Enter the URL you want to update in the search results.
- Click ‘Fetch’.
- You’ll see a little clock appear for a few seconds and it should then update to look like this:
- Click “Submit to Index”. You’ll be presented with a small dialog, asking you if you want to just submit that URL, or the linked pages too:
- Either is, of course, fine and depends entirely on your needs. Choose the appropriate option, hit OK and your search result should be updated rather quickly. You can do 10 of those submissions every 24 hours!