How to update information in Google search results
Sometimes it can take forever to update something in the search results, or you just want to speed it up because it’s annoying you, it’s sensitive data, or for other reasons.
Google Search Console (New version)
Google Search Console provides valuable information with a URL inspection including any issues that prevent content from appearing in search results.
- Go to the Google Search Console.
If prompted, log in using your Google account.
- Choose your website from the ‘Search property’ drop down in the sidebar.
If the sidebar does not appear, click on the three line menu.
- In the top bar, type (or paste) the complete URL of the article that is missing from Google search.
- Expand the ‘Coverage’ section to view the ‘Last crawl’ date.
- If the page has changed since the ‘Last crawl’ date, click ‘ Test Live URL’.
If the test returns any errors, please make any necessary changes so the URL is available to Google before proceeding. Learn more about the different results and how to resolve issues here.
- Click ‘Request Indexing’.
Google Search Console (Old version)
- Open the Fetch as Googlebot tool.
Log in if requested.
- Select the verified property that matches your preferred URL format.
This includes matching the http or https and www or non-www because Google treats each format as separate but related properties. If your preferred URL format is not listed, add your preferred URL format to Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) by following the steps here.
- Enter the URL you want to update in the search results.
- Click ‘Fetch’.
You’ll see a little clock appear for a few seconds and it should then update to look like this:
- Click “Submit to Index”.
- Choose either ‘Crawl only this URL’ or ‘Crawl this URL and its direct links’.
You’ll be presented with a small dialog, asking you if you want to just submit that URL, or the linked pages too. Either is, of course, fine and depends entirely on your needs.
- Click ‘OK’.
Choose the appropriate option, hit OK and your search result should be updated rather quickly. You can do 10 of those submissions every 24 hours!