Since June 2016, Google Maps requires a special Google Maps browser key. Without this key, you cannot display Google Maps on your website.
Before you can set this browser key in your Yoast SEO: Local installation, you’ll need to generate it. This tutorial will show you how to do that.
Get access to our kick-ass support team with Yoast SEO Premium
Generate a Google Maps browser key
- Go to the Google API Console.
- Click ‘Get A Key’.
- If you want to use an existing project, please select it from the list.
- Otherwise, select ‘Create a new project’ and enter a project name.
- Click ‘Enable the API’ (existing projects) or ‘Create and Enable API’ for new projects
- Copy the generated browser key from the popup, you’ll need this to set your browser key later.
- To prevent quota theft, secure your API key following these best practices.
- (Optional) Enable billing. See Usage Limits for more information.
Set your Google Maps browser key
- Copy the browser key you generated from the Google Maps API Manager.
- Log in on your WordPress Admin and navigate to SEO > Local > API Keys.
- Paste the browser key you copied earlier into the ‘Google Maps API browser key (required)’ field.
- Click Save Changes to store your browser key.
- You should now be able to use Google Maps on your website.