How Do I Fix Duplicate Meta Tags?
Google Search Console (former Google Webmaster Tools) reports you have duplicate meta titles or duplicate meta descriptions. Each URL should have unique meta tags so this is important to fix as soon as possible.
Unique URLs With Duplicate Meta Tags
If you have multiple unique URLs with the same meta tags, you may decide to:
- Change the title of pages to distinguish between the duplicate pages.
- Add a Canonical URL to indicate which page search engines should index
- Set all but one page to noindex.
Subpages With Duplicate Meta or Title Tags
If you have paginated URLs with duplicate meta or title tags, you can
- Add the page variable to the metas template for a site-wide fix for pages, posts, or taxonomies that do not have custom meta tags.
- Add the page variable directly to the page, post, or taxonomy for customized meta and title tags.
- If you do not want Google to list the subpages in their search results, you should noindex all subpages.
Parameter URLs With Duplicate Meta Tags
Google has advice on handling duplicate content caused by URL parameters here.
Other URL Formats
Google has even more advice on handling duplicate content here.