How does the plugin work with videos in custom fields?
If the Video SEO plugin did not detect your video, our plugin can scan designated custom fields for videos.
In this Article:
Find The Correct Custom Field Name
To find out the name of your custom field, just download and install the Custom Field Finder plugin and easily find the custom fields you’re using!
- Log in to your WordPress website. Download, install and activate the Custom Field Finder plugin.
- On the left-hand side, you will see a menu. In that menu, click on ‘Tools’.
- The ‘Tools’ settings will expand providing you additional options. Click on ‘Custom Field Finder’.
- Enter the page or post ID and click ‘Find custom fields’.
Not sure how to find the page or post ID? Here’s a great tutorial for finding IDs in WordPress.
- This will show you a list of the custom fields you’re using. Find the custom field that has the video URL or ID in it, copy the key, and enter it into the plugin settings. Couldn’t find a custom field with the correct information?
Don’t fret, you can create your own.
Create Your Own Custom Field
If you are unable to locate a custom field with the video information, you can create and use your own.
- Log in to your WordPress website. Navigate to the edit screen of a page or post that contains a video.
As of WordPress version 3.1, some screen options on the Administration Panels are hidden by default. Custom Fields are hidden if they have not been used before. Click on ‘Screen Options’ on the top right hand side and check ‘Custom Fields’.
- Scroll down to the ‘Custom Fields’ section. Click ‘Enter new’.
- Enter a recognizable and reusable custom field name under the Name. Enter the full URL to the video for this page or post under Value.
- Click ‘Add Custom Field’.
Add Custom Field To Plugin Settings
Now that you have the name of your custom field, you should go to the Video SEO settings and paste your custom field name.
- On the left-hand side, you will see a menu. In that menu, click on ‘SEO’.
- The ‘Tools’ settings will expand providing you additional options. Click on ‘Video SEO’.
- Enter the custom field name and click ‘Save Settings’.