Setting up Twitter Cards in Yoast SEO
You can set up or change Twitter Cards in Yoast SEO by going to SEO → Social. If, for some reason, you do not see the Social setting you may need to activate the advanced features. These can be enabled by going to SEO->Dashboard->Features and enabling the Advanced Features settings, then saving.
Included in this article:
- How To Activate Twitter Cards
- How To Validate Twitter Cards
- Available Card Types
- How To Verify Twitter Cards Are Working
Activate Twitter Cards
Apart from enabling ‘Add Twitter card meta data’, you’ll need to add few pieces of information so the plugin can generate the appropriate card data.
- Log in to your WordPress website. When you’re logged in, you will be in your ‘Dashboard’. On the left-hand side, you will see a menu. In that menu, click on ‘SEO’.
- The ‘SEO’ settings will expand providing you additional options. If you don’t see the ‘Social’ setting in your ‘SEO’ menu, please enable your advanced settings first.
- Click on ‘Social’.
- Enter your site wide Twitter username if it’s not already entered.
- Click on the ‘Twitter’ tab across the top and enable ‘Add Twitter card meta data’ and select the default card type.
Twitter offers different card types. At this time the available card types are Summary and Summary with large image.
- Click ‘Save Changes’.
You have now successfully added the appropriate information for the card type you selected.
Validating & Applying for Twitter Cards
It is no longer necessary to apply for Twitter cards. However you can still use the Twitter Card validator to check links for accurate information.
What Card Types Are Available?
Summary or Summary with Large Image Cards
Summary cards are included for all Yoast SEO users and are the default for all posts and pages. As of Yoast SEO (Premium) version 5.8, summary with large image cards are selected by default upon first installation of the Yoast SEO (Premium) plugin.
Gallery, Product, Photo Cards
Twitter no longer supports gallery, product, and photo cards. They will be automatically mapped to an appropriate card type. Learn more directly from Twitter here.
Player or App Cards
Player or app cards are not supported, at this time, with our plugins.
Is It Working?
After sharing a URL with Twitter cards setup correctly, you will see a Twitter card added to your tweet. Here is an example of Summary card with Large Image.